This salad is reminiscent of something you would find at your grocery store deli counter, only much better of course! Chewy cooked barley and chickpeas form a hearty base and give it great texture. Add a rainbow of veggies like shredded carrots, yellow peppers and tomatoes and top it all off with feta cheese and Italian spices. It’s great for a packed lunch since it holds up well even when dressed. Make it the night before and just add your spinach in the morning or pack the spinach separately and stir it in at lunchtime.
- 2/3 cup hulled barley, (about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 – 15 oz can cooked Garbanzo Beans
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1 ½ cup fresh cherry tomatoes, diced or whole
- 4 or 5 oz baby spinach, finely shredded or whole
- Feta cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Put the barley in a saucepan and cover with two cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 40 minutes (20 minutes for pearled barley). Drain excess water from the barley when done cooking. Allow to cool.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together in a salad bowl and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season with spices to your taste.