For the sauce:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ to 2 pound flank steak
For the salad:
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 jar (oz) roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 Tbsp chopped blanched almonds
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 small red onions
- 4 red, yellow, and/or orange bell peppers
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ head green leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Whisk together the ¼ cup olive oil, sherry vinegar, orange juice, smoked paprika, garlic, and oregano to make a marinade. Place the steak in a shallow dish or container, pour the marinade over the top and flip it over to coat well. Allow to marinate overnight.
- Make the Romesco sauce:
In a food processor combine all of the sauce ingredients and whiz until smooth, about 20 seconds or so. If making the dressing a day ahead place it in a small jar and refrigerate it.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut peppers and onions into wide strips, toss in olive oil, and spread onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 min at 400°F. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and set aside for the moment.
- Set the broiler to HI and place an oven rack a few inches below the broiler element. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and shake off any excess. Place the steak on a broiler pan or a rack placed inside of a baking pan and broil 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from the oven and allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes or more before slicing crosswise against the grain.
- While the steak is resting, place the tray of peppers and onions back in the oven under the HI broiler for 5 minutes until starting to brown on the edges. I like the peppers to be “crisp tender” and not overly soft.
- Assemble the salad by placing the roasted peppers, onions and strips of steak over a bed of lettuce. Top with Romesco sauce, chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.