- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- ½ tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce, plus more
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- salt and pepper
- sliced green onions
- smoked Cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, hot sauce, honey, salt and pepper. Gradually add the olive oil and whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the black eyed peas, celery, red bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes. Pour the dressing over and toss well. Taste and add more hot sauce if necessary.
- You may set the salad aside for 20 minutes if you choose for the flavors to meld. Garnish with sliced green onions and smoked cheddar cheese and serve at room temperature.