- 1 cup wild rice
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted cashews
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate or other fruity vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place the wild rice in a saucepan and add 4 cups of water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low but steady simmer. Cook at a simmer for 45 minutes or until the grains are done – they should be chewy and some may have burst open. When done, drain any remaining liquid.
- To make the dressing: Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and mustard in a blender or food processor and whiz together. While the blender is running, add the olive oil in a slow steady stream until the dressing is emulsified.
- Dice the celery and both types of onions. Toast and chop the pecans and cashews. Mix with cooled rice in a serving bowl along with the cranberries. Pour the dressing over and mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.