Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia! Remember when chia meant a clay pet that grew green fur? Well chia has come full circle. People now recognize chia seeds for their nutritional benefits just as the ancient Mayan people did. (Chia means “strength” in Mayan). Chia seeds are high in fiber, protein, minerals, omega 3 fatty acids, and are low in calories. A great source of sustained energy, they are a perfect addition to smoothies. Plus they give these energy bites a delicious crunch!
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashew meal
- ¼ cup pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup + ¼ cup, divided dried tart cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Place the almonds, cashew meal, and dates in a food processor. Process for about 30 seconds until finely chopped.
- Add the chia seeds, 1/2 cup of the dried cherries, vanilla and almond extracts, almond butter, and maple syrup to the food processor. Process for about 1-2 minutes until well combined and a dough balls starts to loosely form. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the ¼ cup of dried cherries. Fold the cherries and the cacao nibs into the chia mixture.
- Roll into bite sized balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.